Skip to main content

Back Again

    So not so young but young at heart and always looking for adventure whether that is writing stories or teaching martial arts to students who are young enough to be my grandkids,  I love helping all of us on our faith journey and as I stumble along on my own I hope to not only learn from my mistakes but help others too.   In the words of a very wise, very Irish priest, "Aye, life can be a bummer sometimes," yes life can be a bummer sometimes, but as I read and discover writings of Chesterton, Sheen, Lewis, and so many more, I realize I'm not the first to have bummers happen in life. None of us are, but a wise quote from Bishop Fulton Sheen stopped me in my tracks not too long ago when he said,

"No one else but I am in exactly these circumstances; no one  else has to carry the same burden, whether it be sickness, the death of a loved one, or some other adversity. Nothing is more individually tailored to our spiritual needs than the Now moment; for that reason it is an occasion of knowledge that can come to no one else.   This moment is my school, my textbook, my lesson.  The Now moment is unique for each of us. The wisdom we receive during these moments is distilled from intimate experience, is never forgotten, it becomes part of our character, our merit and our eternity. Those who sanctify the moment and offer it up in union with God's will never become frustrated, never grumble or complain. They overcome all obstacles by making them occasions of prayer and channels of merit."

      This struck me as so beautiful...we are so used to sharing our sorrows with others and honestly trying to figure out if we are the only ones with those sorrows that it never dawned on me that my sorrows are unique to me, specially tailored to help me get to heaven.  What a thought! There is a reason I view the events of my life in a certain way because they are for me, for my salvation, good, bad, happy or sad they are all part of God's plan for me. 
 
     Now that doesn't mean we should not share or ask for help with our trials or our joys. Quite the contrary, by sharing with each other we confirm with each person we meet that God is working in our lives.  He does care about us because He gives each of us the grace to work through our joys and sorrows IF we accept that grace!  See, we have to accept the grace from Him by asking for it, praying for it and when we share them with others we can help each other accept His grace. So many times I've had someone listen to mine and they tell me they will pray for me and I have done the same for others. That prayer is helping me accept the grace from God to work through the problem.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living Free

    I really think I am going to wean off television. I don't watch that much of it but in the evenings before my husband and I retire for the night, we watch some history shows or old reruns of shows that make us laugh, because none of the new shows make us laugh.    But it is really getting depressing watching the commercials that come on no matter which channel we watch.  Drugs to make you feel happy, younger, have better hair, more hair, softer skin. Then there are the drugs to make us happy because we're supposed to be happy all the time... drugs to help us stay young because of course we need to run marathons in our fifties... and then of course is the beauty look that all women are SUPPOSED to look by using fillers, botox, lifters and whatever else kind of false promises that commercials are selling.    I'm tired of that.   I just want to be calm, enjoy a peaceful evening with my husband and not have my always present worry alarm going...